COLEFORD IN THE FOREST OF DEAN – TOWN CENTER
They say that a photograph paints a thousand words, so, how many words would a video with sound paint?
I don’t know any description that would be more accurate than a picture or a video. Videos especially give you a feel for the places and the addition of sound is a definite bonus.
One of the most asked questions by guest visiting out Forest of Dean lodges is; “What is Coleford like?”
Coleford Forest of Dean
Coleford is everything you would expect from a market town. It is almost a biscuit tin cliche, at first glance. Situated two miles from the border with Wales and the Wye valley, Coleford is a small market town at the west of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England.
The last census gave the population in 2011 has at less than 8400 souls. Historically, Coleford has a mixed bag, being a doorway for Charcoal and iron and also gets a mention for the English Civil war (1642 – 1651).
If you are interested in the history of Coleford then there is a great article on Wikipedia.
These days, Coleford is synonymous with the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley. Walking, cycling, birdwatching and many more outdoor activities bring the tourists to Coleford and the Forest of Dean in their thousands. Nowhere in the UK, in our oppinon, is there a more beautiful holiday location.
There is plenty to do and see in Coleford, not just the Royal Forest of Dean, although, this is the main attraction to the area.
Here are just a few links from the Royal Forest of Dean info website.
- Clearwell Caves – Ancient iron mines. Of great interest to the whole family
- Symonds Yat – Superb views over the Wye Valley, good walks, and the Peregrine Falcons nesting.
- The Wye Valley – Picturesque easy walks, canoeing, fishing
- Puzzle Wood – Pleasant easy walks
- Beechenhurst – Picnic area with barbeque hearths, tourist lodge, cafeteria etc. Good walks
- The Sculpture Trail – Interesting walk with sculptures in the forest, including the stained glass window and the giant’s chair.
- Railway Museum – An interesting collection of steam railway memorabilia from the Forest of Dean
- Perrygrove Steam Railway
For more information on Coleford and the Royal Forest of Dean, check out this link
Back to Coleford Town Center
My original aim of this posting was to point out the great availability of videos relating to Coleford and the Forest of Dean that are available on Youtube. A simple search for “Coleford Forest of Dean” with get you a weath of visual information that will be a great help when planning your holidays to Coleford in 2018.
Additionally; We would love to see any videos you have made yourself about the town, the Royal Forest or the Wye Valley. Better still, send us a link and we can feature your video on our Blog.